Hailing from Long Island/Brooklyn New York, UNEARTHLY TRANCE was created in 2000 by Ryan Lipynskyand and Jay Newman. After releasing a debut 7” on Southern Lord Records, Darren Verni joined the fold on drums and solidified the band as the loudest and most original blackened doom power trio from Brooklyn.
UNEARTHLY TRANCE released two critically acclaimed albums with Lee Dorrian’s Rise Above Records. In 2003, the debut Season Of Seance, Science Of Silence exhibited extreme bleak doom and harsh black metal vocals with the occasional flair for experiment that was mixed by Stephen O’Malley (Sunn O))), Khanate, Burning Witch). The follow up In The Red, is when UNEARTHLY TRANCE truly found their sonic identity. They joined forces with producer Sanford Parker in Chicago and established the sound that would define the band going forward.
In 2006, UNEARTHLY TRANCE signed with Relapse Records and released their third full-length The Trident. This album featured a more varying degree of tempos, textures, and mood and really shows the bands strength of well crafted song writing. Once again recording with trusted engineer Sanford Parker, the band also had the opportunity to record at Steve Albini’s famous recording studio, Electrical Audio.
With the intent of honing their craft and taking their sound further, 2008’s Electrocution shows UNEARTHLY TRANCE at their most progressive, building upon the doom/sludge foundation laid out in earlier releases. As always, Parker expertly captured the sound of the band who were at the heights of its vigor and explosiveness.
Things took on a new vibe and tone with V in 2010. This showed the band recording and mixing on its own with bassist Jay Newman at the helm in their home of New York City. With V, the trio came full circle; combining the expansive leanings of Electrocution and The Trident with the sparing, brooding doom of their earliest works.
UNEARTHLY TRANCE has had an extensive career of touring and playing shows with legendary and acclaimed acts such as Electric Wizard, The Melvins, High On Fire, Grief, Sunn O))), Pelican, Sleep, Morbid Angel, Floor, Autopsy, Ramesses, Suma and many more.
UNEARTHLY TRANCE decided to call it a day June 6th 2012…
But thankfully after some well needed rest and reflection, the band returned in 2015 to once again summon the beast! Shortly before the return, UNEARTHLY TRANCE released a 2xCD collection of vinyl only songs from the past on Throne Records fittingly titled Ouroboros. Back once again in the rehearsal laboratory, the band is firing on all cylinders and has already planned live outings and has begun writing new material for album number six. Expect nothing but the most soul crushing occult doomed metal from the deepest depths and beyond.
“…there’s a strong intellectual, occult strain, a heavy sense of End Times running through it. It’s ballsy, punk, urban, hallucinatory, and exploratory — while maintaining a grounded no-bullshit precision.” – NoEcho.net
UNEARTHLY TRANCE are:
Ryan Lipynsky – Guitar, Vocals, Noise
Jay Newman – Bass, Noise
Darren Verni – Drums
- UNEARTHLY TRANCE Premiere Third Single “Scythe” via Decibel Magazine New York City sludge/doom/drone trio UNEARTHLY TRANCE has premiered the third single off the forthcoming Stalking the Ghost full-length. Listen to “Scythe” now via Decibel Magazine at this location. February 24th, 2017 will see the worldwide release of Stalking The Ghost via Relapse Records on CD/LP/Digital. Physical pre-orders and bundles are available via Relapse.com HERE and ...
- UNEARTHLY TRANCE Premiere Second Single “Famine” Via Cvlt Nation New York City sludge/doom/drone trio UNEARTHLY TRANCE has premiered the earth-shattering sounds of “Famine” via Cvlt Nation. Listen now at this location or via SoundCloud below. Stream the previously released “Dream State Arsenal” via YouTube HERE and Soundcloud HERE. February 24th, 2017 will see the worldwide release of Stalking The Ghost via Relapse Records on CD/LP/Digital. Physical ...
- Roadburn Festival 2017 Announces New Wave Of Bands Roadburn Festival 2017 has announced a new wave of band’s including Relapse artists/alumni: Bongzilla Integrity Disfear True Widow King Woman Pinkish Black Lycus Previously Announced: Inter Arma Unearthly Trance More information and tickets: http://www.roadburn.com/roadburn-2017/tickets/
- UNEARTHLY TRANCE Announce New Full-length ‘Stalking The Ghost’ Stalking The Ghost coming February 24th via Relapse Records New York City sludge/doom/drone trio UNEARTHLY TRANCE re-emerge from the shadows with Stalking the Ghost, their six full-length recording and first album in over seven years. Stream the band’s new song “Dream State Arsenal” via YouTube HERE and Soundcloud HERE. An esoteric ritual of seismic doom, Stalking the Ghost taps ...
- UNEARTHLY TRANCE: Band Announces Reformation; Live Performances Like a phoenix undead, Brooklyn based black/doom/sludge trio Unearthly Trance has returned! After putting the band on ice in 2012, Darren Verni, Ryan Lipynsky and Jay Newman have decided to resurrect and start playing together once again. The band is already currently writing new music for what will be their sixth full-length album and fourth for Relapse Records. 2015 ...