Epic, crushing, and heavy beyond words, YOB has achieved legendary status in recent years due to their unmatched aesthetic and incredible body of work. Formed in 1996 in Eugene, Oregon under the leadership of doom metal mastermind Mike Scheidt on guitars and vocals, the group initially released a three song demo tape in 2000 that garnered them international attention. Drawing comparisons to groups like Neurosis, Sleep and Electric Wizard, YOB succeeded in developing modern sounding doom metal that hearkened back to the classics.
In 2002, YOB released their debut album Elaborations of Carbon followed by Catharsis in 2003, a three song record that clocked in at a colossal 50 minutes. The buzz about YOB was beginning to grow and the trio began to tour more extensively. Remaining quite prolific during this period, YOB continued to release an album each year with The Illusion of Motion coming in 2004 followed by The Unreal Never Lived in 2005. Despite all the momentum, YOB disbanded in 2006.
In 2008 the band returned from hiatus and has remained strong ever since with Travis Foster on drums and Aaron Rieseberg on bass. Reinvigorated and reinspired, YOB released The Great Cessation in 2009. It was doom with a psychedelic twist, a sound that Pitchfork referred to as “cosmic doom.” At this point in their career, the band found increased exposure in the media, with The New York Times going so far as to call them “one of the best bands in North America” after a performance at Scion Rock Festival.
For 2011’s Atma, YOB took a more organic to recording. In Scheidt’s own words, he wanted the record to sound “grizzly, with hair on it.” Three years later, the group released Clearing the Path to Ascend, a record that upheld their legacy as a top notch doom metal act and was hailed by Rolling Stone as the #1 metal album of the year.
Fast forward to 2017 where YOB signed with Relapse Records for their incredible 8th full-length recording Our Raw Heart. The album was conceived amidst dire circumstances that nearly left frontman Mike Scheidt dead after suffering from an extremely painful and potentially fatal intestinal disease. Scheidt miraculously recovered and rallied the band together with a new sense of purpose for Our Raw Heart, an album informed by the will to survive. More exposed than ever both physically and emotionally, YOB bleed out seven riveting tracks of enormous volume and pensive, transcendental beauty across 75 minutes of ultimate doom. A brilliant musical progression in the YOB continuum, Our Raw Heart is the band at their most aggressive, impassioned and eclectic. The riffs are massive, the vocals captivating and the songwriting sublime. Existing in its own organic universe, Our Raw Heart is truly the band’s finest work to date and the apex achievement of what heavy music can accomplish. Our Raw Heart was co-produced by the band and longtime collaborator Billy Barnett at Gung Ho Studio in Eugene, Ore., with mastering handled by Heba Kadry (The Mars Volta, Diamanda Galas, Slowdive).
Mike Scheidt – Guitar, Vocals
Aaron Rieseberg – Bass
Travis Foster – Drums
- YOB: Announce Northwest December Tour Dates YOB announce end of 2019 Northwest tour dates with Earthless! Tickets are available at https://www.yobislove.com/tour. YOB will also end September in Chicago playing Revolution Oktoberfest as well as an after show at Empty Bottle. www.yobislove.com www.facebook.com/quantumyob www.twitter.com/quantumyob www.instagram/com/quantumyob
- YOB: Share Amoeba Green Room Session; Begin North American Tour Next Week Click the image above or follow this link to view Yob’s Amoeba Green Room session: https://youtu.be/jnPu9RU28H YOB, who kick off a new round of North American tour dates on Tuesday, share a recently taped Amoeba Green Room session: https://youtu.be/jnPu9RU28H. The session was filmed during the band’s previous national tour and features the songs “The Lie That is Sin,” “Breathing from the ...
- YOB: Announce Summer European Tour Dates w/ Neurosis Our Raw Heart Surfaces On Numerous Best of Lists Including NPR, Rolling Stone, Decibel, Revolver, Noise, Mashable & Artforum Oregon’s cosmic trio YOB return to Europe this summer opening for doom metal legends Neurosis. The tour begins July 11 in Alperstedt, DE and ends July 26 in Gdasnk, PL. All confirmed tour dates are listed below. YOB are touring in support ...
- YOB: Announce Spring 2019 Tour With VOIVOD & AMENRA YOB, who have enjoyed a remarkable 2018, will return to the road next Spring, bringing Voivod and Amenra along for the month-long trek across North America. The news arrives as Our Raw Heart continues to surface on a wide range of best of 2018 lists, nabbing the #1 spot in Decibel Magazine’s extensive year-end issue, as ...
- YOB: Announce End of 2018 West Coast Tour Dates; European Headlining Tour Begins Next Week YOB returns to North American highways once more before the end of 2018, adding a half-dozen date trek up and down the North American West Coast including a performance Decibel Magazine’s Metal & Beer Fest on Dec. 2 at the Wiltern. Gimme Radio presents the non-Decibel shows. The new round of tour dates are: December 1 San ...