Hailing from Long Island/Brooklyn New York, UNEARTHLY TRANCE was created in 2000 by Ryan Lipynskyand and Jay Newman. After releasing a debut 7” on Southern Lord Records, Darren Verni joined the fold on drums and solidified the band as the loudest and most original blackened doom power trio from Brooklyn.
UNEARTHLY TRANCE released two critically acclaimed albums with Lee Dorrian’s Rise Above Records. In 2003, the debut Season Of Seance, Science Of Silence exhibited extreme bleak doom and harsh black metal vocals with the occasional flair for experiment that was mixed by Stephen O’Malley (Sunn O))), Khanate, Burning Witch). The follow up In The Red, is when UNEARTHLY TRANCE truly found their sonic identity. They joined forces with producer Sanford Parker in Chicago and established the sound that would define the band going forward.
In 2006, UNEARTHLY TRANCE signed with Relapse Records and released their third full-length The Trident. This album featured a more varying degree of tempos, textures, and mood and really shows the bands strength of well crafted song writing. Once again recording with trusted engineer Sanford Parker, the band also had the opportunity to record at Steve Albini’s famous recording studio, Electrical Audio.
With the intent of honing their craft and taking their sound further, 2008’s Electrocution shows UNEARTHLY TRANCE at their most progressive, building upon the doom/sludge foundation laid out in earlier releases. As always, Parker expertly captured the sound of the band who were at the heights of its vigor and explosiveness.
Things took on a new vibe and tone with V in 2010. This showed the band recording and mixing on its own with bassist Jay Newman at the helm in their home of New York City. With V, the trio came full circle; combining the expansive leanings of Electrocution and The Trident with the sparing, brooding doom of their earliest works.
UNEARTHLY TRANCE has had an extensive career of touring and playing shows with legendary and acclaimed acts such as Electric Wizard, The Melvins, High On Fire, Grief, Sunn O))), Pelican, Sleep, Morbid Angel, Floor, Autopsy, Ramesses, Suma and many more.
UNEARTHLY TRANCE decided to call it a day June 6th 2012…
But thankfully after some well needed rest and reflection, the band returned in 2015 to once again summon the beast! Shortly before the return, UNEARTHLY TRANCE released a 2xCD collection of vinyl only songs from the past on Throne Records fittingly titled Ouroboros. Back once again in the rehearsal laboratory, the band is firing on all cylinders and has already planned live outings and has begun writing new material for album number six. Expect nothing but the most soul crushing occult doomed metal from the deepest depths and beyond.
“…there’s a strong intellectual, occult strain, a heavy sense of End Times running through it. It’s ballsy, punk, urban, hallucinatory, and exploratory — while maintaining a grounded no-bullshit precision.” – NoEcho.net
UNEARTHLY TRANCE are:
Ryan Lipynsky – Guitar, Vocals, Noise
Jay Newman – Bass, Noise
Darren Verni – Drums
- UNEARTHLY TRANCE: Share “Mechanism Error” Via Revolver Magazine Photo Credit: Jimmy Hubbard New York City trio UNEARTHLY TRANCE share the first track off their side of the impending, split LP with labelmates PRIMITIVE MAN. Listen to “Mechanism Error” on Revolver Magazine HERE. UNEARTHLY TRANCE will perform with Spirit Adrift and labelmates WRONG at Union Pool in Brooklyn, NY on July 31. The trio will also ...
- Psycho Las Vegas x Relapse Records 2018 Psycho Las Vegas 2018 kicks off Thursday, August 16th till August 20th and features Relapse current, alumni & affiliated bands RED FANG, INTEGRITY, S U R V I V E, PRIMITIVE MAN, UNEARTHLY TRANCE, INDIAN, COUGH, HIGH ON FIRE, BORIS, VOIVOID & GODFLESH! More info and tickets are available at http://bit.ly/PsychoRelapse18.
- PRIMITIVE MAN & UNEARTHLY TRANCE Announce Split LP Coming August 17th One year after each releasing two of 2017’s heaviest albums, Denver’s PRIMITIVE MAN and New York City’s UNEARTHLY TRANCE unite for an exercise in complete and total suffering, coming August 17th on CD/LP/Digital via Relapse Records. Across seven apocalyptic tracks, both bands tap into some of the most uncomfortable, vile realms of blackened doom and ...
- Relapse Launch 2017 Sampler; Partner With Rock To The Future To Donate Proceeds Relapse is proud to partner with Rock to the Future to offer our annual label sampler highlighting another year of incredible music from their eclectic roster, featuring the best dark and heavy music from around the globe. Ranging from death metal, black metal, doom, sludge, and grindcore to hard rock, electronic, synth, industrial, experimental, prog, and more, the ...
- Relapse Records Podcast #48- March 2017 Ft. OBITUARY The Relapse Records podcast returns to kick off the Spring with a special OBITUARY takeover! March’s episode also highlights new and upcoming releases from IRON REAGAN, THE OBSESSED, GRUESOME, KING WOMAN, ECSTATIC VISION, JOHN FRUM and UNEARTHLY TRANCE! We also spin a handful of death metal classics from new vinyl reissues. This month, Nick talked ...