Founded in 2002 by guitarist/vocalist Steffen Kummerer, German progressive death metal band OBSCURA caused a stir when they – out of nowhere – toured as support for the legendary Suffocation on the band’s European tour in 2006 and independently released their debut album Retribution that same year. From its very beginnings, the band (named after Gorguts’ inimitable 1993 full-length) demonstrated an uncanny ability for blending different forms of technical, cerebral metal into a coherent synthesis of death, thrash and black metal merged with progressive elements.
Following this auspicious start, OBSCURA‘s lineup was bolstered by a number of star-studded additions to the band’s lineup. In late 2007, OBSCURA added drummer Hannes Grossmann (ex-Necrophagist) and bassist Jeroen Paul Thesseling (ex-Pestilence) as new permanent members, while guitarist Christian Muenzner (Spawn of Possession, ex-Necrophagist) came into the ranks in early 2008. In 2009, after being acquired by Relapse Records, the band released Cosmogenesis, a marvel of technical and progressive metal that firmly established OBSCURA as one of modern extreme metal’s leading lights. Not one to bend to convention, OBSCURA distinguished themselves and their unique brand of music via the tasteful use of vocal effects, fretless bass, philosophical underpinnings, and other elements rarely touched on in extreme metal.
In addition to cracking the US Billboard charts, the release of Cosmogenesis saw OBSCURA embark on their first worldwide tour, which included visits to North America, Europe, and Japan. Cosmogenesis was followed in 2011 by Omnivium, which was lauded by Decibel, Terrorizer, Metal Injection, and dozens of others as a landmark achievement in technical music. That album entered the US and German charts while enabling the band to conduct another run of extensive touring across the globe, now joined by fretless bassist Linus Klausenitzer (Noneuclid). The band embarked on multiple world tours with such renowned artists as Cannibal Corpse, Nile, Suffocation, Atheist, Death To All, The Black Dahlia Murder, Children of Bodom, Devin Townsend and countless others including numerous festival appearances at Summer Breeze, Hellfest, Inferno Festival, Neurotic Deathfest, and many others. In 2014, Muenzner and Grossmann left OBSCURA to focus on personal endeavors. Their positions were filled by jazz guitarist Rafael Trujillo and fusion drummer Sebastian Lanser (Panzerballett).
Now, five years since the release of the universally-acclaimed Omnivium, the progressive metal masters have returned with their strongest and most dynamic release to date. The aptly-named Akróasis (Greek for “hearing” or “listening”) draws on all the various elements of OBSCURA‘s signature sound and combines those qualities into a cohesive and mind-blowing whole. Produced by the band and V. Santura (Triptykon, Pestilence), Akróasis is eight songs diverse enough to serve as a near-comprehensive introduction to all of extreme metal. Packed to the gills with virtuosic musicianship, compelling themes, and airtight songwriting, Akróasis will undoubtedly breathe new life into death metal, progressive metal and beyond.
Bio by Mark Moritz-Rabson
Steffen Kummerer / Vocals & Guitars
Steffen Kummerer founded OBSCURA in 2002. Steffen shaped the band within composition and arrangements, lyrics, and visual art since the very beginning.
Rafael Trujillo / Guitars
Rafael Trujillo plays lead guitar in OBSCURA since November 2015. He graduated from Munich Guitar Institute in 2014 and studies Jazz at Amsterdam Conservatorium, University of Arts. Beside his classical education since he was a very young child Rafael is a very experienced session guitarist and multi instrumentalist.
Linus Klausenitzer / Bass
After two tours as session bassist Linus was officially anounced as a permanent member in September 2011. His significant 6/7-string fretless bass sound is characterised by his musical education and experience in different styles like Pop, Funk, Jazz and collaborations with classical music for over 10 years.
Sebastian Lanser / Drums
Sebastian Lanser entered the ranks of OBSCURA in late 2014. Being graduated with honors of A. Bruckner University in Linz, Sebastian soon became a well requested drummer within the international music scene. Polyrhythms and odd meters at highest tempos paired with groove and accuracy makes Sebastian leading a new generation of drummers.
- OBSCURA Enter Studio To Record New Album; Announce Cosmogenesis Vinyl Reissue Technical death metal masters OBSCURA have entered the studio to record their yet-to-be titled fifth full-length album. The record is the final of a running 4 album concept cycle that began with Cosmogenesis in 2009. The band is recording the album with longtime producer V. Santura (Triptykon, Pestilence) at Woodshed Studios, Landshut, Germany. A Summer ...
- OBSCURA Premiere “Anticosmic Overload” Guitar Playthrough German tech-death masters OBSCURA have shared a brand new guitar playthrough of “Anticosmic Overload.” Watch guitarist Steffen Kummerer’s virtuosic playing below. “Anticosmic Overload” is from OBSCURA‘s 2009 album, Cosmogenesis. You can buy it, as well as the band’s 2016 album, Akroasis, HERE.
- OBSCURA Premiere “Perpetual Infinity” Guitar Playththrough via Gear Gods German tech-death titans OBSCURA have premiered a brand new guitar playthrough of “Perpetual Infinity” via Gear Gods. “Perpetual Infinity” can be heard on OBSCURA‘s 2016 album, Akroasis. Watch guitarist Rafael Trujillo demonstrate his incredible skill below or via Gear Gods HERE. Akroasis was released last February via Relapse Records, and can be purchased HERE.
- OBSCURA Premiere New Fretless Bass Playthrough For “Akroasis” by Linus Klausenitzer German technical/progressive death metal luminaries OBSCURA have just shared a new playthrough video, which features fretless bass virtuoso Linus Klausenitzer shredding his way through the title-track taken from the band’s latest release Akroasis! Watch it now via YouTube here. “When I thought to record another playthrough video, I decided for the title track of our new album Akroasis,” Said Linus ...
- OBSCURA Premiere “Ten Sepiroth” Drum Playthrough OBSCURA and skinsman Sebastian Lanser have just shared a new drum playthrough for the Akroasis single “Ten Sepiroth.” As is the band’s trademark, the performance is airtight, impossibly technical, and impeccably shot; check it out now below or here. A bass playthrough video of the same song by the band’s Linus Klausenitzer can also be viewed now here. Additionally, OBSCURA recently premiered an official music video ...