Founded in 2002 by guitarist/vocalist Steffen Kummerer, German progressive death metal band OBSCURA caused a stir when they – out of nowhere – toured as support for the legendary Suffocation on the band’s European tour in 2006 and independently released their debut album Retribution that same year. From its very beginnings, the band (named after Gorguts’ inimitable 1993 full-length) demonstrated an uncanny ability for blending different forms of technical, cerebral metal into a coherent synthesis of death, thrash and black metal merged with progressive elements.
In 2009, after being acquired by Relapse Records, the band released Cosmogenesis, a marvel of technical and progressive metal that firmly established OBSCURA as one of modern extreme metal’s leading lights. Not one to bend to convention, OBSCURA distinguished themselves and their unique brand of music via the tasteful use of vocal effects, fretless bass, philosophical underpinnings, and other elements rarely touched on in extreme metal.
In addition to cracking the US Billboard charts, the release of Cosmogenesis saw OBSCURA embark on their first worldwide tour, which included visits to North America, Europe, and Japan. Cosmogenesis was followed in 2011 by Omnivium, which was lauded by Decibel, Terrorizer, Metal Injection, and dozens of others as a landmark achievement in technical music. That album entered the US and German charts while enabling the band to conduct another run of extensive touring across the globe. Five years since the release of the universally-acclaimed Omnivium, the progressive metal masters returned with their strongest and most dynamic release to date. The aptly-named Akróasis (Greek for “hearing” or “listening”) draws on all the various elements of OBSCURA signature sound and combines those qualities into a cohesive and mind-blowing whole.
The band embarked on multiple world tours with such renowned artists as Cannibal Corpse, Death To All, Children of Bodom and countless others including numerous festival appearances at Hellfest, Graspop Metal Meeting and many others.
Now in 2018, OBSCURA complete their long-running, four-album conceptual circle with the release of Diluvium (defined as a great oceanic flood), their most evocative, diverse and vibrant release to date. Recorded with longtime producer V. Santura (Triptykon, Pestilence) at Woodshed Studios in Landshut, Germany, Diluvium is a stunning achievement for the illustrious quartet and a landmark release for progressive metal as a whole. Complete with all the band’s signature elements plus groundbreaking polyrhythms, dramatic songwriting, and jaw-dropping virtuosity, OBSCURA raise the bar once again with an album that will go down in the annals of metal history as one of the most astonishing performances the genre has to offer.
Steffen Kummerer / Vocals & Guitars
Steffen Kummerer founded OBSCURA in 2002. Steffen shaped the band within composition and arrangements, lyrics, and visual art since the very beginning.
Rafael Trujillo / Guitars
Rafael Trujillo plays lead guitar in OBSCURA since November 2015. He graduated from Munich Guitar Institute in 2014 and studies Jazz at Amsterdam Conservatorium, University of Arts. Beside his classical education since he was a very young child Rafael is a very experienced session guitarist and multi instrumentalist.
Linus Klausenitzer / Bass
After two tours as session bassist Linus was officially anounced as a permanent member in September 2011. His significant 6/7-string fretless bass sound is characterised by his musical education and experience in different styles like Pop, Funk, Jazz and collaborations with classical music for over 10 years.
Sebastian Lanser / Drums
Sebastian Lanser entered the ranks of OBSCURA in late 2014. Being graduated with honors of A. Bruckner University in Linz, Sebastian soon became a well requested drummer within the international music scene. Polyrhythms and odd meters at highest tempos paired with groove and accuracy makes Sebastian leading a new generation of drummers.
- OBSCURA: Share “Mortification of the Vulgar Sun” Music Video; Announce Full Headlining North American Tour Dates Germany’s progressive death metal masters OBSCURA celebrate the release of their 5th studio album Diluvium with the “Mortification of the Vulgar Sun” music video! Watch the full video via Revolver Magazine HERE and listen to the entire new album AT THIS LOCATION. Additionally, OBSCURA share the official routing for their North American headlining tour beginning September ...
- OBSCURA: Debut New Single “Ethereal Skies” Via Loudwire Photo Credit: Christian Martin Weiss Germany’s progressive death metal masters OBSCURA have shared the third single from their highly anticipated impending full-length album Diluvium. Listen to the exclusive premiere of “Ethereal Skies” via Loudwire HERE. OBSCURA has also released an official playthrough for the album’s title track. Watch it HERE, courtesy of Gear Gods. Listen to the second ...
- OBSCURA: Share “Emergent Evolution”; Announce Headlining North American Tour Photo Credit: Christian Martin Weiss Germany’s progressive death metal masters OBSCURA have shared the second single from their highly anticipated impending full-length album Diluvium. Watch the official visualizer video for “Emergent Evolution” via Metal Injection HERE. Additionally, OBSCURA have announced a North American headlining tour, presented by Metal Injection and set to take place from mid-September through ...
- OBSCURA | Making of “Diluvium” [Episode #2 – Songwriting] Interview with Steffen Kummerer discussing the songwriting of Obscura’s brand new album ‘Diluvium’ – out on Relapse Records July 13th.
- OBSCURA: Announce New Album Diluvium; Share Title-Track Music Video Photo Credit: Christian Martin Weiss Germany’s progressive death metal masters OBSCURA complete their long-running, four-album conceptual circle with the release of Diluvium (defined as a great oceanic flood), their most evocative, diverse and vibrant release to date. Diluvium is due out July 13th on CD/LP/Digital via Relapse Records. Watch the official video for “Diluvium” via YouTube HERE ...