Founded in 2002 by guitarist/vocalist Steffen Kummerer, German progressive death metal band OBSCURA caused a stir when they – out of nowhere – toured as support for the legendary Suffocation on the band’s European tour in 2006 and independently released their debut album Retribution that same year. From its very beginnings, the band (named after Gorguts’ inimitable 1993 full-length) demonstrated an uncanny ability for blending different forms of technical, cerebral metal into a coherent synthesis of death, thrash and black metal merged with progressive elements.
In 2009, after being acquired by Relapse Records, the band released Cosmogenesis, a marvel of technical and progressive metal that firmly established OBSCURA as one of modern extreme metal’s leading lights. Not one to bend to convention, OBSCURA distinguished themselves and their unique brand of music via the tasteful use of vocal effects, fretless bass, philosophical underpinnings, and other elements rarely touched on in extreme metal.
In addition to cracking the US Billboard charts, the release of Cosmogenesis saw OBSCURA embark on their first worldwide tour, which included visits to North America, Europe, and Japan. Cosmogenesis was followed in 2011 by Omnivium, which was lauded by Decibel, Terrorizer, Metal Injection, and dozens of others as a landmark achievement in technical music. That album entered the US and German charts while enabling the band to conduct another run of extensive touring across the globe. Five years since the release of the universally-acclaimed Omnivium, the progressive metal masters returned with their strongest and most dynamic release to date. The aptly-named Akróasis (Greek for “hearing” or “listening”) draws on all the various elements of OBSCURA signature sound and combines those qualities into a cohesive and mind-blowing whole.
The band embarked on multiple world tours with such renowned artists as Cannibal Corpse, Death To All, Children of Bodom and countless others including numerous festival appearances at Hellfest, Graspop Metal Meeting and many others.
Now in 2018, OBSCURA complete their long-running, four-album conceptual circle with the release of Diluvium (defined as a great oceanic flood), their most evocative, diverse and vibrant release to date. Recorded with longtime producer V. Santura (Triptykon, Pestilence) at Woodshed Studios in Landshut, Germany, Diluvium is a stunning achievement for the illustrious quartet and a landmark release for progressive metal as a whole. Complete with all the band’s signature elements plus groundbreaking polyrhythms, dramatic songwriting, and jaw-dropping virtuosity, OBSCURA raise the bar once again with an album that will go down in the annals of metal history as one of the most astonishing performances the genre has to offer.
Steffen Kummerer / Vocals & Guitars
Steffen Kummerer founded OBSCURA in 2002. Steffen shaped the band within composition and arrangements, lyrics, and visual art since the very beginning.
Rafael Trujillo / Guitars
Rafael Trujillo plays lead guitar in OBSCURA since November 2015. He graduated from Munich Guitar Institute in 2014 and studies Jazz at Amsterdam Conservatorium, University of Arts. Beside his classical education since he was a very young child Rafael is a very experienced session guitarist and multi instrumentalist.
Linus Klausenitzer / Bass
After two tours as session bassist Linus was officially anounced as a permanent member in September 2011. His significant 6/7-string fretless bass sound is characterised by his musical education and experience in different styles like Pop, Funk, Jazz and collaborations with classical music for over 10 years.
Sebastian Lanser / Drums
Sebastian Lanser entered the ranks of OBSCURA in late 2014. Being graduated with honors of A. Bruckner University in Linz, Sebastian soon became a well requested drummer within the international music scene. Polyrhythms and odd meters at highest tempos paired with groove and accuracy makes Sebastian leading a new generation of drummers.
- OBSCURA: Announce New Album Diluvium; Share Title-Track Music Video Photo Credit: Christian Martin Weiss Germany’s progressive death metal masters OBSCURA complete their long-running, four-album conceptual circle with the release of Diluvium (defined as a great oceanic flood), their most evocative, diverse and vibrant release to date. Diluvium is due out July 13th on CD/LP/Digital via Relapse Records. Watch the official video for “Diluvium” via YouTube HERE ...
- OBSCURA: Complete New Album; Reveal Album Title Photo Credit: Christian Martin Weiss Technical death metal masters OBSCURA have completed their fifth full-length album entitled Diluvium. Diluvium was recorded with longtime producer V. Santura (Triptykon, Pestilence) at Woodshed Studios in Landshut, Germany. The album is set for a Summer 2018 release via Relapse Records. Some special contributors were involved with the making of Diluvium including ...
- OBSCURA Enter Studio To Record New Album; Announce Cosmogenesis Vinyl Reissue Technical death metal masters OBSCURA have entered the studio to record their yet-to-be titled fifth full-length album. The record is the final of a running 4 album concept cycle that began with Cosmogenesis in 2009. The band is recording the album with longtime producer V. Santura (Triptykon, Pestilence) at Woodshed Studios, Landshut, Germany. A Summer ...
- OBSCURA Premiere “Anticosmic Overload” Guitar Playthrough German tech-death masters OBSCURA have shared a brand new guitar playthrough of “Anticosmic Overload.” Watch guitarist Steffen Kummerer’s virtuosic playing below. “Anticosmic Overload” is from OBSCURA‘s 2009 album, Cosmogenesis. You can buy it, as well as the band’s 2016 album, Akroasis, HERE.
- OBSCURA Premiere “Perpetual Infinity” Guitar Playththrough via Gear Gods German tech-death titans OBSCURA have premiered a brand new guitar playthrough of “Perpetual Infinity” via Gear Gods. “Perpetual Infinity” can be heard on OBSCURA‘s 2016 album, Akroasis. Watch guitarist Rafael Trujillo demonstrate his incredible skill below or via Gear Gods HERE. Akroasis was released last February via Relapse Records, and can be purchased HERE.