INTER ARMA‘s music resists generalization and categorization, but if there’s one thing that’s consistently true, it’s that the VA quintet possesses an unparalleled sense of scope. Few artists today accurately convey the complexity that INTER ARMA (Latin for “in times of war”) does – the band creates terrible and often hauntingly beautiful portraits of humanity through music that is deeply organic yet still mystical and modern. INTER ARMA are just as committed to the live circuit as they are to their records: the band has performed extensively throughout Europe and the US, sharing the stage with the likes of Kylesa, Baroness, Cough, Royal Thunder, Black Tusk, Ulcerate, Russian Circles, Windhand, and dozens of others. INTER ARMA‘s raw, uninhibited approach merges doom metal, psychedelic sludge, black metal, prog and more, and over the course of the last ten years, has established the band as a uniquely innovative force in contemporary extreme metal.
Founded in Richmond in 2006, the versatile and genre-defying five-piece released their debut full-length Sundown via Forcefield Records in 2010, and like all great artists, had a well-defined sound right from the start. Sundown found INTER ARMA widespread critical acclaim, and, combined with the band’s relentless touring schedule and DIY grit, quickly helped INTER ARMA make a name for themselves in the underground. Following Sundown, the band released the 12″ EP Destroyer via Toxic Assets Records. That record was strong enough to catch the attention of Relapse Records, who signed INTER ARMA later in 2012, and in 2013, the band unleashed the monolithic Sky Burial, a doomy, hour-long excursion through unpredictable textures and timbres. Just two years later, the band followed Sky Burial with The Cavern, a 45+ minute, single-song EP. Originally written during the summer of 2009, then slowly reworked and perfected, The Cavern was recorded in 2013 during breaks from the band’s non-stop tours. Both The Cavern and Sky Burial were widely hailed as some of the best records of their respective years and garnered INTER ARMA accolades from the likes of Pitchfork, NPR, Rolling Stone, and many other publications worldwide.
Two years after The Cavern, INTER ARMA are poised to return with their heaviest and most multifaceted work to date. Paradise Gallows is more than an hour of lush, colorful melodies and textures blended with the heaviness of the earth’s impending death. Like the band’s previous works, the new album Paradise Gallows is direct and foreboding while maintaining a nuanced, artful perspective. INTER ARMA‘s signature palette of dissonant high-end and abyssal low-end has been augmented with swathes of thick, impressionistic melody that lend Paradise Gallows a truly biblical sense of scale, both lyrically and in terms of the album’s sonic content. Harsh and acoustic passages (including the band’s first-ever foray into clean vocals) spar with complex rhythmic structures across nine sweeping tracks of expansive, progressive heaviness. The album was again recorded with Mikey Allred (Yautja, Hivelords) at Dark Art Audio in Nashville, and features gorgeous cover art by Orion Landau. Dense, funereal, and richly evocative, Paradise Gallows is a rich blend of doom, post-metal, sludge, and black and death metal, and is a singular and powerful new addition to the band’s already monumental discography.
INTER ARMA are:
T.J. Childers – Drums, guitars, acoustic guitars, lap steel, keyboards, synthesizers, noise, vocals
Trey Dalton – Guitars, keyboards, vocals
Joe Kerkes – Bass
Mike Paparo – Vocals
Steven Russell – Guitars
- INTER ARMA: On Tour With Pallbearer and Gatecreeper; Confirm Support For Summer Tour Photo Credit: Tony Lynch Virginia’s INTER ARMA have begun their US tour with Pallbearer and label-mates Gatecreeper and have announced support bands for their late Summer US headline tour. Includes dates with Pyrrhon (Aug 05 – 07), Atriarch (Aug 11 – Aug 17), Pelican (Aug 20 – 26) and Brain Tentacles (Aug 29 – Sep 03). ...
- INTER ARMA: Announce Fall European Tour Dates with Der Weg einer Freiheit Virginia’s INTER ARMA has announced European tour dates from September 21 till October 14 with Der Weg einer Freiheit. Tickets are on sale now. See the band’s full tour itinerary below. Additionally, INTER ARMA has recently shared a trance-inducing video for the title-track from 2016’s critically acclaimed full-length Paradise Gallows. Watch the video, directed by Jordan ...
- INTER ARMA: Announce Late Summer North American Tour Dates; Share Video For “The Paradise Gallows” Virginia’s INTER ARMA has announced North American tour dates throughout August and September. The band will perform headlining concerts from August 5-17 then appear at the third annual Psycho Las Vegas the weekend of August 18-20. Afterward, INTER ARMA will provide support for Pelican from August 21-26 with additional headline shows to follow. Tickets go ...
- INTER ARMA: Announce International Tour Dates; Release Live Video Virginia’s INTER ARMA have announced new international tour dates throughout the upcoming months. The band will perform headlining concerts across Europe in April and May with select dates accompanied by Celeste. The tour includes various festival appearances such as the prestigious Roadburn Festival, Dudefest, Doom Over Leipzig, and Desertfest. The band will also celebrate their ...
- Roadburn Festival 2017 Announces New Wave Of Bands Roadburn Festival 2017 has announced a new wave of band’s including Relapse artists/alumni: Bongzilla Integrity Disfear True Widow King Woman Pinkish Black Lycus Previously Announced: Inter Arma Unearthly Trance More information and tickets: http://www.roadburn.com/roadburn-2017/tickets/